did you serve an LDS mission? did you break any rules? of course you did! over at MormonMatters.org there’s a discussion going on where returned missionaries are “confessing”. it’s really funny to read other people’s lists of broken rules, sins, and indulgences (it’s funny how many list “drinking cola” since that’s supposed to be so bad). my list is below, if you have comments to add, i’d like to read them here.
(mission area: Brasilia, Brazil 2000-2002)
just off the top of my head:
- listened to unapproved “EFY” music and got interviewed by my mish. pres. for it (yeah, weird, huh.)
- had pictures of a cute pop star (Sandy) under my name tag.
- was seduced by 2 different women who would nurse and not cover up after removing the baby (one told me she was seducing me, the other i may have just been reading into “the body language” a little too much).
- had a buddha statue on my desk for a while- felt weird/dark and took it down when a companion complained.
- waded my feet in water in a river in the jungle (satan could have swept me away but i was lucky)
- had sleepovers with another zl friend and we’d rent 5-6 movies and watch them all in one go. did this 2-3 times.
- semi-porn billboards and posters were everywhere in brazil, and i would “notice them” just a few seconds too long.
- lied to mish pres. about having “clean hands”. he left it unclear, so i just took it literally and said they were clean (with a “duh” look on my face- “c’mon, pres.”)
- played nintendo at a member’s house, watched the news during lunch at the bishop’s house, went to domino’s on sunday with a member who forgot to cook us a meal (i gave her a guilt trip and recommended she take us to the new domino’s that had just opened).
- towards the end of my mission i purchased whatever CD’s i felt like from the mall and listened to them while i went to sleep (it ended up being mostly enya).
and last but not least:
- tricked a greenie brazilian missionary into praying to joseph smith- complete with candles and photographs!