My wife is Brazilian and cooks the best rice and beans. Many have asked her the secret to making good rice and beans. Here’s her recipe (you’ll need to buy a pressure cooker pan!):
I recommend cooking in a rice cooker.
- Open one bag of beans and separate the bad beans from the good beans.
- Put the good beans in a pressure cooker pan with water (3x water than beans).
- Add heat until boils. Once the cap starts to shake/make noise, turn down the heat and cook for 35 minutes.
- Don’t open the pressure cooker pan. Put the pressure cooker pan under cold running water for a minute before opening (if you open it before this it may explode boiling water all over)
- Sauté onions, garlic, and smoked sausage (to taste).
- Open the pressure cooker pan, heat up on stove again, and mix in the sautéed items.
- Add 3 Tbsp of salt (or to taste)
- In a separate cup, mix 1 Tbsp flour in a 1/2 cup cold water until dissolves. Add to food in pan.
- Stir beans until boils, continue until thickens a little.
[Serves 3-4 servings. Make extra since cooked beans just get better every day as leftovers!]